All things considered (we had family over on Wednesday and Monday was rough) I think I had a pretty productive week. I had a lot of fun working through new concepts and experimenting with things that will hopefully help me grow as an artist. I hope you all enjoy.Read More
A big thing that happened this week as far as my writing is concerned was the completion of the first draft of Binary Tears! I'm pretty happy with the way the novella turned out, as far as a first draft is concerned, but I'm sure I'll think otherwise when I reread it in December, when I plan to start editing.Read More
Everyone has different ideas of what makes a good sketchbook; some people swear by Moleskine sketchbooks, while others think they are overrated. Some people prefer a spiral bound sketchbook, because of the way you can work on a single page at a time, and others prefer hardbound sketchbooks due to the flow each spread has.Read More
Even though this week didn't have quite as many individual completed tasks as last week did, I'm still very happy with what I managed to achieve. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but this week was full of the actual completion of goals, so I'm not complaining.
- The first art update I would like to discuss this week has to do with working in my sketchbook on a more consistent basis. I've worked in said sketchbook every day for the past two weeks, and I have to say that it's good to be back. I took a break for a while, mostly due to the 100 Day Project. However, since that's now all said and done, I have a lot more time to devote to individual sketches.
- On a related note, today (7/28/2017) marks the date that I officially completed the final page of my fourth completed sketchbook. It's such a good feeling, and it never gets old. I'm pretty sure that even if I had finished a hundred sketchbooks, it would still be incredible.
- Another art update that I have in the works is a more final digital piece that I've been working on. I did some thumbnailing to experiment with what would look best, and the sketch phase is completed. I'll probably work on the line art and potentially color today (tomorrow at the latest). You can see the progress of this piece on my Patreon, at the $8 tier.
- Binary Tears is moving right along as far as its progress is concerned - this is actually another area in which I have completed a goal. During the month of July, NaNoWriMo hosts a camp version of the challenge in which you can set your own goals. I had decided that I wanted to write 20,000 words, and I managed to hit that goal and keep going. As of yesterday (I haven't written yet today), the word count sits at 26,040 words, which is a total of 7,495 words that I managed this month. The novella is beginning to hit its downwards slope.
- In addition to those 7,495 words on Binary Tears, I have also written a total of four sections for my art book. Once the rough draft for Binary Tears is completed, I will be able to dedicate more of my time to writing this content. However, I'm happy that it's moving along regardless.
- The first video update I would like to discuss this week is the first shown above - it is a main channel video (it took long enough) that I'm ultimately pretty proud of. Of course, I always feel like it could have turned out better, but I'm actually happy with it's current state. Hopefully the next main channel video won't take quite so long to get out.
- The second video I uploaded this week was on my side channel, where I did a more in depth explanation of the time I had working with the 100 Day Project. I talked about what I thought some of the benefits of participating in the project (or something similar) were, and where some of the struggles stemmed from. It's a bit different than some of the other videos on this channel, but I enjoyed working on it. You can see a little more about it here.
- The final thing I have to share this week has to do with the recording of the videos as opposed to the actual editing of them. I have recorded some of the final pages of my sketchbook, in order to stock up on some Sketchbook Sunday videos (which I'm hoping to have one of live this Sunday). Currently in the works I have three Sketchbook Sunday videos recorded, one separate art time lapse, and one main channel video.
In the end, I'm really happy with the way this week turned out, even if it wasn't quite as productive as last week. It's nice to be able to sit down and reflect, and I would encourage it to anyone looking for a way to help their motivation.
First things first, I would like to mention that I am having a sale over on my Etsy shop - the sale ends at 11:59 on July 31, so be sure to make your way over there before it's too late!
Now onto today's post - every now and then I feel as though I have a particularly good week, and this was one of those. I got quite a bit of work done and part of me wonders if I can keep it up. Usually the weekend tends to interfere with my flow, but only time will tell.
- The first art update I have for this week is the completion of the above piece of artwork. Her name is Vera Aras, and I created a page to explain her story. Originally I had created the piece with the blue background, but the longer I looked at it, the more conflicted I became. I eventually changed the background to purple, and I think I like it better. I may end up offering both options in my Etsy shop. This was originally available on my Patreon for early access.
- Speaking of my Etsy shop, I have made several significant updates this week, and I'm very happy with the new options that are available. First things first, as shown in the photo above, I took my favorite pieces I created during The 100 Day Project and turned them into stickers! You can choose your favorite 5 for $4.00. I have also added a few new prints to my shop, and am preparing to add some 4"x6" prints in addition to the 8.5"x11" ones.
- In addition to my Etsy shop, I have made a Fiverr, in order to offer an option for commission work, which I'm very excited about as well. A basic sketch starts at $5, with options for ink, color and full body available from there.
- Continuing with the updates of Binary Tears, my word count for that draft is currently at 18,545. This makes the progress for this week a grand total of 7,421 words. It's not as many as I managed to pull off last week, but I haven't written yet today. My main goal for this draft was to complete 20,000 words in the month of July, so I'm right on track to achieve that. The ultimate goal would be to complete the draft, as it is a novella.
- I also did some writing this week for what will eventually be included in my art book. I wrote two descriptions, and I will probably end up needing about twenty. That's already a tenth of the way done, so I'm happy enough with that. I hope to do a few more in the coming week, especially now that I've almost hit my goal for Binary Tears.
- Another thing I was working on this week was the continuation of editing scripts for my next SkillShare class. I have officially completed the scripts and typed up the edit, so I'm hoping to start filming and editing next week!
- I believe that the video updates this week were where I truly thrived. I took a little bit of a break, where I was only updating a few times a month, but I realized just how much I missed creating videos. This week, I uploaded a Sketchbook Sunday video as well as a an illustration time lapse, and I'm very happy with the results of the videos. I feel as though I'm slowly improving the process. Both of these videos were available for early access on my Patreon before they went live on YouTube.
- Another thing that I'm also very excited about is the fact that I also completed a video for my main channel this week! At of right now, I think it will be available on my Patreon on Sunday, then for the public/YouTube on Tuesday.
- As far as the progress of other videos, I recorded the coloring process of Vera Aras which I'm planning to show in the weeks that follow. I also recorded a Sketchbook Sunday video, but there is another that will be released before that one. I have also made significant progress on the edit of my NEXT main channel video - I'm trying to update that channel more consistently, though it's difficult.
In the end, I'm very proud of what I was able to accomplish this week - I hope you all enjoyed following me as I explained what I've been up to. I'll see you all next week!