I'm finally getting back around to doing a weekly (inconsistently) update, and a lot has happened. Due to hurricane Irma, my family and I left the state for about a week while everything boiled over. There wasn't a lot of time for creating art or videos, and the idea of doing a weekly update when all I had to talk about was my sketchbook didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. However, I'm finally starting to get back into the swing of things, and I have quite a few things to talk about this time around.Read More
Much like last week, the majority of my work this week was focused on YouTube and creating videos to post over there. I've slowly but surely started to fall in love with the actual process of creating videos, and it fills me with an incredible sense of accomplishment to set a video up to be posted. So with that being said, let's move on to this week's updates!Read More
My productivity this week wasn't quite up to par with some weeks I've completed previously, but I did a lot of reassessing. That meant a lot of thinking, pondering, and writing down my thoughts and emotions in an attempt to figure out what exactly I wanted to do in the weeks that follow. Because of this, I'm willing to let it slide.Read More
All things considered (we had family over on Wednesday and Monday was rough) I think I had a pretty productive week. I had a lot of fun working through new concepts and experimenting with things that will hopefully help me grow as an artist. I hope you all enjoy.Read More
Even though this week didn't have quite as many individual completed tasks as last week did, I'm still very happy with what I managed to achieve. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but this week was full of the actual completion of goals, so I'm not complaining.
- The first art update I would like to discuss this week has to do with working in my sketchbook on a more consistent basis. I've worked in said sketchbook every day for the past two weeks, and I have to say that it's good to be back. I took a break for a while, mostly due to the 100 Day Project. However, since that's now all said and done, I have a lot more time to devote to individual sketches.
- On a related note, today (7/28/2017) marks the date that I officially completed the final page of my fourth completed sketchbook. It's such a good feeling, and it never gets old. I'm pretty sure that even if I had finished a hundred sketchbooks, it would still be incredible.
- Another art update that I have in the works is a more final digital piece that I've been working on. I did some thumbnailing to experiment with what would look best, and the sketch phase is completed. I'll probably work on the line art and potentially color today (tomorrow at the latest). You can see the progress of this piece on my Patreon, at the $8 tier.
- Binary Tears is moving right along as far as its progress is concerned - this is actually another area in which I have completed a goal. During the month of July, NaNoWriMo hosts a camp version of the challenge in which you can set your own goals. I had decided that I wanted to write 20,000 words, and I managed to hit that goal and keep going. As of yesterday (I haven't written yet today), the word count sits at 26,040 words, which is a total of 7,495 words that I managed this month. The novella is beginning to hit its downwards slope.
- In addition to those 7,495 words on Binary Tears, I have also written a total of four sections for my art book. Once the rough draft for Binary Tears is completed, I will be able to dedicate more of my time to writing this content. However, I'm happy that it's moving along regardless.
- The first video update I would like to discuss this week is the first shown above - it is a main channel video (it took long enough) that I'm ultimately pretty proud of. Of course, I always feel like it could have turned out better, but I'm actually happy with it's current state. Hopefully the next main channel video won't take quite so long to get out.
- The second video I uploaded this week was on my side channel, where I did a more in depth explanation of the time I had working with the 100 Day Project. I talked about what I thought some of the benefits of participating in the project (or something similar) were, and where some of the struggles stemmed from. It's a bit different than some of the other videos on this channel, but I enjoyed working on it. You can see a little more about it here.
- The final thing I have to share this week has to do with the recording of the videos as opposed to the actual editing of them. I have recorded some of the final pages of my sketchbook, in order to stock up on some Sketchbook Sunday videos (which I'm hoping to have one of live this Sunday). Currently in the works I have three Sketchbook Sunday videos recorded, one separate art time lapse, and one main channel video.
In the end, I'm really happy with the way this week turned out, even if it wasn't quite as productive as last week. It's nice to be able to sit down and reflect, and I would encourage it to anyone looking for a way to help their motivation.
First things first, I would like to mention that I am having a sale over on my Etsy shop - the sale ends at 11:59 on July 31, so be sure to make your way over there before it's too late!
Now onto today's post - every now and then I feel as though I have a particularly good week, and this was one of those. I got quite a bit of work done and part of me wonders if I can keep it up. Usually the weekend tends to interfere with my flow, but only time will tell.
- The first art update I have for this week is the completion of the above piece of artwork. Her name is Vera Aras, and I created a page to explain her story. Originally I had created the piece with the blue background, but the longer I looked at it, the more conflicted I became. I eventually changed the background to purple, and I think I like it better. I may end up offering both options in my Etsy shop. This was originally available on my Patreon for early access.
- Speaking of my Etsy shop, I have made several significant updates this week, and I'm very happy with the new options that are available. First things first, as shown in the photo above, I took my favorite pieces I created during The 100 Day Project and turned them into stickers! You can choose your favorite 5 for $4.00. I have also added a few new prints to my shop, and am preparing to add some 4"x6" prints in addition to the 8.5"x11" ones.
- In addition to my Etsy shop, I have made a Fiverr, in order to offer an option for commission work, which I'm very excited about as well. A basic sketch starts at $5, with options for ink, color and full body available from there.
- Continuing with the updates of Binary Tears, my word count for that draft is currently at 18,545. This makes the progress for this week a grand total of 7,421 words. It's not as many as I managed to pull off last week, but I haven't written yet today. My main goal for this draft was to complete 20,000 words in the month of July, so I'm right on track to achieve that. The ultimate goal would be to complete the draft, as it is a novella.
- I also did some writing this week for what will eventually be included in my art book. I wrote two descriptions, and I will probably end up needing about twenty. That's already a tenth of the way done, so I'm happy enough with that. I hope to do a few more in the coming week, especially now that I've almost hit my goal for Binary Tears.
- Another thing I was working on this week was the continuation of editing scripts for my next SkillShare class. I have officially completed the scripts and typed up the edit, so I'm hoping to start filming and editing next week!
- I believe that the video updates this week were where I truly thrived. I took a little bit of a break, where I was only updating a few times a month, but I realized just how much I missed creating videos. This week, I uploaded a Sketchbook Sunday video as well as a an illustration time lapse, and I'm very happy with the results of the videos. I feel as though I'm slowly improving the process. Both of these videos were available for early access on my Patreon before they went live on YouTube.
- Another thing that I'm also very excited about is the fact that I also completed a video for my main channel this week! At of right now, I think it will be available on my Patreon on Sunday, then for the public/YouTube on Tuesday.
- As far as the progress of other videos, I recorded the coloring process of Vera Aras which I'm planning to show in the weeks that follow. I also recorded a Sketchbook Sunday video, but there is another that will be released before that one. I have also made significant progress on the edit of my NEXT main channel video - I'm trying to update that channel more consistently, though it's difficult.
In the end, I'm very proud of what I was able to accomplish this week - I hope you all enjoyed following me as I explained what I've been up to. I'll see you all next week!
The beginning of this week was slow going, but I definitely gained momentum near the end. I think that Monday and Tuesday were rough because I had been busy for a few days prior, so the introvert in me needed some time to relax. However, after reviewing everything I've been working on this week, I'm happy with where I'm at currently.
- The major art update I have for this week is that I have officially completed my 100 Day Project! The site has been updated to show all of the finished pieces, and they can also be found on my Instagram. The two above photos show how much I progressed over the 100 days, and I'm glad I decided to use markers, since my skills before the project were subpar at best. I'm very happy to see my improvement!
- I also have quite a few updates concerning the art book I mentioned in last week's post. I have made several major decisions about the format and tone of the book, and have decided how I want to organize it. I have also picked a working title (World of Immensum: Press Start), and organized all of the files I pulled together in the context of this organization scheme. I plan to begin writing descriptions next week.
- One last note I have to share about my artwork is that I've done several thumbnails of pieces I want to work on in the week that follows. I'm not sure how many, if any, will actually be competed, but I have three pieces that are currently in the idea phase, and since I am no longer doing the 100 Day Project, I should have more time to spare.
- As I mentioned in the last post, I am currently in the middle of a writing project titled Binary Tears. The draft is currently at 11,124 words, which means that since the last update I have written 8,440 words. The past few days have been particularly good for the progress of this draft; I'm starting to get familiar enough with the characters that writing them feels familiar, and I'm still liking the way it's coming out.
- The other thing I have to incorporate into the writing updates section of this post is that I am currently in the process of editing the scripts I wrote last week; five of the video scripts are edited, and only three remain. I'm excited to go into production with this one.
- I completely edited and posted a sketchbook time lapse that is currently available on my Patreon for early access. It will be available on my Youtube channel on Sunday. This shows the process of several watercolor pages as well as a lot more experimentation that I did in various mediums. It's been a while since I worked in my sketchbook on a regular basis, so it felt good to get back into it.
- In addition to the video discussed above, I am at various points of completion with several other videos. I have made significant progress on one of my main channel videos, which I'm hoping to have up in the coming week. I have another side channel video waiting to be edited, and I'm fairly certain that video will be up in the coming week as well. There is a second main channel video that isn't quite as close to being completed, and I also recorded another sketchbook video that will likely be live on Youtube the following Sunday.
As I mentioned in the introduction to this post, I'm very happy about the things I was able to achieve this week. I hope I can continue this momentum this coming week, but only time can tell. I hope you enjoyed seeing what I was up to this week and I'll see you next Friday for another update.
Considering the holiday festivities surrounding July 4, I didn't get quite as much done this week as I typically do. However, I still got a good bit of work done and I want to share it all with you.
- The first thing I wanted to talk about in today's post is the piece I briefly mentioned in the last one. I completed this piece, The Fountain of Seeing, as an anniversary present for my grandparent's 60th anniversary. I found a way to tie it into the rest of the world. This was available on my Patreon for two days before the rest of the world saw it, so be sure to check that out.
- Something else that I suppose I can put into the art section of this post is the fact that I have decided to put together an art book that will eventually be available for purchase. I have already taken several steps towards the completion of this project. First and foremost, I went through all of the recent artwork of my own that I could find and pulled together what I consider to be the best of the best.
- I also put together a plan of attack for the art book discussed above. I have a list of tasks that need to be completed in order to bring this idea to fruition, and it's much shorter than I expected it to be. I expect the list to grow as I find things I forgot.
- I began the rewrite of my novella this week, and I feel much happier with it this time around. It is currently at 2,684 words, and I haven't written yet today. I think the planning I put into the project before I began writing definitely helped the story to flow much better. I hope it keeps going at this pace.
- Something else I decided to work on this week is a Skillshare class. I've actually taught a Skillshare Class before (Creating Artwork with Meaning), and I enjoyed working on it so much that I decided it might be worthwhile to do another. This class in particular is going to be on setting creative goals and actually achieving them. I wrote an outline for this class.
- In addition, I also went through and wrote scripts for all eight of the videos that will be included in the class. The 2,900 words that went into that project is another reason that my novella word count is so low.
- I actually have a video to share with all of you this week, and it is a character design time lapse. It's the actual process of completing the piece I shared on the blog last week. This video was also available on my Patreon page before it was out on YouTube.
- The final video updates I have for you are the WIPs that I've been struggling to get edited. Coincidentally, I actually have the footage for the above (anniversary) piece that is in need of a voice over, and a new sketchbook video that is also awaiting its audio. I'll probably sit down with both videos tomorrow and do a big recording session, both for these videos and a main channel video that I'm extremely close to completing.
I hope you all enjoyed seeing what I've been up to this week and found it interesting to some extent. Even though this is only the second blog post I've done like this, I really enjoy doing it, so hopefully I continue to enjoy it.
I've been trying to think of a way to keep you guys updated on the World of Immensum and what's going on as far as its development for a while now. Up until this point, following me on Instagram was probably the easiest way (@worldofimmensum), but I wanted a way to collect everything into one place. Since I've always loved writing, a blog seems like the best way to attempt this. I hope this works out the way it did in my head.
- I've recently decided to revisit The Elements Project, since it is an idea I'm still pretty excited about. Despite my style changing so drastically since the last time I worked on this project, I decided to pick up where I left off and draw Lithium (shown above). Eventually, I'll probably end up going back to redraw Hydrogen and Helium, but for now I'm going to enjoy the process of designing new characters.
- While we're on the topic of The Elements Project, I've also finished the research for the next character element - Beryllium. I have a few ideas whirling around in my head based on that research, but I have yet to sit down and properly thumbnail the character.
- Moving on to art that is not related to The Elements Project, I completed a piece this week that will be up, along with its backstory, sometime next week. I put a lot more thought into this piece than I have in the past, so I think it turned out particularly well - I'm excited to share that with all of you. It will likely be up on my Patreon for early access on Monday or Tuesday, then on the site a few days later.
- Finally, I have begun planning for a new piece I'm working on, including thumbnails and color studies. I will most likely begin work on this piece tomorrow.
- The main writing update I have for this week is that I realized the novella I was working on, Binary Tears, needed a complete re-haul. I didn't do a whole lot of planning before I began writing, and every time I've tried this method I've realized that it isn't for me. As a response to that realization, I've been spending the past few days putting together a plan to rewrite the story from scratch. I'm planning to finish the first draft during Camp NaNoWriMo this July. Hopefully this will be the first Camp NaNo I complete (with a 20,000 word goal).
- If you're interested in seeing the playlist I have created for Binary Tears, you can find that at the link below. There's only three songs thus far, but that's likely to change in the near future. https://open.spotify.com/user/thisisjordanslife/playlist/4wGqvYzIo2kwxeAWnkrvbp
- I find that my main problem with videos stems from the actual finishing of them. I currently have three (five if you count exclusively raw footage) videos in varying stages of completion, two for the main channel and three for the side channel. I'm hoping to get at least one video for each channel finished in the next week.
So, as you can see, I've definitely kept myself busy this week. I have plans to continue these projects and various WIPs in the weeks that follow, so be sure to check back next week for another update!